About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Book of the Week




Kindergarten-Grade 3–This is the story of an older buffalo that is no longer able to keep up with the rest of the herd. While the idea that the once-powerful old bull is growing older and unable to keep pace is sad, he is filled with serenity. In his travels behind the herd, he comes across a buffalo cow about to give birth. He stays with her throughout her labor and protects and cares for the calf, saving it during a dust storm. The book portrays the circle of life in a beautiful way, but it also shows the protective bond between young and old, as well as the important role Grandfather Buffalo continues to play in the herd dynamic. This book is a perfect interplay of poetic text and strong art that is full of love and empathy. Arnosky gives the impression of the harshness of the prairie environment without overdramatizing. Each spread features the majestic expanse of the tall grass and the other creatures that inhabit it. This is Arnosky at his excellent best.–Susan E. Murray, Glendale Public Library, AZ

No comments: