About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Letter 'A' - Day 4

Craft: I know this isn't an A but I told him to pick a letter (of course he chose C b/c that's what his name starts with) and draw it and then we'd decorate it. Here is what he did.
 
Math: We learned about estimating. I put a few apples in a small box and had Collin glance in the box quickly and then estimate how many he saw. He estimated 5 and then counted. He was close. After that we estimated how much it would weigh. I estimated 2 lbs and then he estimated 100lbs (WOW!). It was 2 lbs.  Of course, he decided he should eat one when we were done.


Science: We talked about alligators. How do they see underwater? We discussed the alligators' third eyelid called a nictitating membrane.
Then, I got a bowl of luke-warm water and Collin stuck his face in and opened his eyes. I asked him what he saw and he said things were fuzzy. Then I had him put on his goggles and I explained that nictitating membranes are similar to goggles. They protect the eye and help the alligator see. Then he put his head in the bowl to see what things looked like. He thought it was pretty cool.


Then we read "Who Lives in an Alligator Hole?" and talked about reptiles being cold-blooded and how they lay eggs, habitat, food...etc. It was fun. 


I really wanted to read this book but I couldn't find it at our library so if you're library has it then you may want to check out this one.

After the book we went to youtube and watched a bunch of alligator videos and found pictures online. It was pretty fun.

No comments: