About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Tips to get your child to write


Writing can be such a big deal to students sometimes. In my house, it often ends in tears. However, through research, occupational therapy, and trial and error I have learned a few tips along the way. My son is a kid who HATES writing. Yes, he has dysgraphia, but he is capable of it through lots of encouragement. So, here are some things I've learned.




  1. Tummy Writing: This is something he started doing in occupational therapy. Basically, I give him a clipboard with his paper and he lies on the ground on his stomach and writes. It's easier than writing at a desk.
  2. Vertical Writing: This is when you tape paper to the wall, use an easel, a chalkboard, or a window to write on. It has to be vertical - on a wall or something. Windows are fun with a dry erase marker. You also only have to buy the markers because everyone has windows. Ours have lots of smaller panes though so it's a little harder to write on, but the kids still think it's fun to write on.
  3. Codes: Using different codes (pig pen) or invisible ink (lemon juice) are also fun. After spending a few days or weeks on codes (depending on how deep you want to get into it) you could have the student create a treasure hunt or solve a treasure hunt. Solving or creating it means a student has to write. Basically, the point is to make the writing fun!
  4. Colors: Use colored pencils while writing. Alternate different colors for each word or each sentence. 
  5. Dry-Erase Board and Marker: I have small squares of dry erase boards that are just slightly larger than a piece of paper. My son will actually write on these willingly. He isn't a fan of chalkboard because he hates the chalk dust getting on everything but the white board and marker are great for him. 
Hopefully something here helps! What do you do to get your child to write?

No comments: