About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Monday, July 20, 2015

New Plan this year

Here is an example of my weekly plan.




Last year, we started homeschooling mid-year from a virtual public school. The adjustment was pretty much still public school. This year, I decided to take a new turn with it. It's much less like homeschool this year. So, here is what we do.

Math is still pretty much the same... lesson and workbook.

Literature is a little different. Each 6 weeks we are focusing on a genre. For the read aloud we choose a book from that genre. Each Tuesday the children choose a narration card and do whatever project is in there. The narration cards are just a bunch of slips of paper with different projects like --- draw a mural about a scene from the book, create a puppet show...etc. All kinds of little fun things like that. The kids also read 25 minutes each day. At least one of the books during the 6 weeks should be of the genre we're studying. They also have to write a note weekly telling their aunt about what they're reading and what the think of it.
Poetry: On Tuesdays we do Poetry tea time. I make some herbal tea and serve it in nice mugs with a saucer and I make some sort of snack -- cookies, cucumber sandwiches...etc. Whatever! We gather around and read poetry while we drink tea and eat our snack. The kids really like this!
 Grammar: I made videos and worksheets for the kids. Below is an example of what they are like. They're also doing copywork and then working on breaking down the parts of their copywork... punctuation, parts of speech...etc.
Story Elements: On Wednesdays we watch a movie and then go over the story elements afterwards. The kids think this is fun because it's different. We do it all the time for books but now we get to break down and analyze movies together.
Arts: On Thursdays we rotate between Art Study, Music Study, or Nature Study.
Library Day: I count that for literature on Thursdays. We go to the library weekly. LOVE the library.
Writing: We are doing writing projects this year that are just fun projects that involve writing. I have a son who hates writing so this is great for him. This whole month we're focusing on secret codes.... next month we're going to work on their personal history. They'll have to interview family members and things like that. It should be fun but will involve writing.
Science: Is the same as last year.
History: Is the same as last year as well. The only difference is we are using narration cards for history as well. So, they have to draw a slip of paper with different tasks like - create a game on the topic they just learned about or write an obituary on a person from history...etc.

So far, this new schooling method is going well. I like it and the kids like it. YAY!!

No comments: