About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Teaching two!

Okay, I am hoping that I haven't lost all my readers. I used to have a lot and then I totally slacked off on updating my blog and have lost quite a few of you. Please return! I need some advice!! Okay, up until now I have just always included my toddler with the preschooler's stuff. If she wanted to participate then she did, if not then she went off and played. It was really easy. Sometimes she colored or something. Well, this fall seems like it is going to be so much more complicated. I will be homeschooling Collin for Kindergarten. In my state this means that I have to homeschool him for at least 4.5 hrs and keep a record of everything we do for each subject and a portfolio of his work. I guess I'm saying this to show that our state is a little more strict so I can't just let things slide.
At the same time, I need to teach the 3 yo more about letters and numbers and some shapes. She knows how to count and can sing the abc song and knows most of the shapes but she doesn't know the sounds letters make or what numbers look like or anything like that. She also doesn't sit still long enough for me to teach them to her. She's a busy body so I hope when she's ready she'll stop to learn. :) We will see though. hehe! So, I guess I'm wondering.... how do you teach two children? How difficult is it? What do you do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about the alphabet and was thinking you could make the letters into games like hopscotch alphabet. Where you call out a letter and she has to jump to it then she calls out a letter and you jump to it or you could make a dice to roll. As for 2, I get Lulu started on something she can do by herself for a very few minutes and work with Jake then get Jake started on something he can do by himself while I get Lu started on something else. Back and forth until Jake is finished and then Lulu and I do her harder stuff. Sometimes they have to be patient and wait which is good practice for them also.