About Me

I'm a mom, a teacher, a student, a wife, and a scout leader. I am actually an education major currently working on my practicum in a 2nd grade classroom. I also home school my two children. I'm also a cub scout leader, a girl scout leader, and at church I'm the children's music leader. ;) I tend to stay a little busy. My state requires homeschoolers to keep a portfolio. I am going to use this blog as my portfolio.

What am I?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

plans for 2010-2011

Well, we're preparing for a new year. I will have one 4-K and one 2-K this year. I want to make sure that I will be able to homeschool so this year I'm going to follow all the laws required for SC. That means that we have to have 180 days of school that last 4 1/2 hrs each day. I have to keep attendance, a diary of everything we do and a portfolio of the kids' work. I found a cool program, that's free if you get the basic, online that keeps track of most of this stuff on the computer. I'll still have to keep a portfolio though.That shouldn't be too hard. Especially if I continue with the lapbooks but I haven't decided yet.

We aren't starting back until Aug 2 so I won't have anything exciting to post. I may just put updates of things going on here in preparation but in Aug I'll get back to it. We will be using a curriculum called In His Image so I won't be posting new ideas on here but I thought I could use this blog for the portfolio. I'll scan in samples of the kids' work and things like that. :) I'll also post about stresses or things that worked and ideas I have here.

I know, you are all curious of our schedule for next year. Okay, probably not but I'm going to post it anyways. In order to get our 4.5 hrs in, I've decided to start school at 7:30am. The kids are normally up by 6/6:30 anyways so it will be easy to just start doing school at 7:30. We will go 7:30-12:30 w/ a 30 min break from 9:30-10am for snack and play outside time. 12:30pm we'll have lunch and then nap/quiet time. After nap, we'll go on a nature walk and find something we think is neat and draw a picture of it. If we need to then we can come back home and look it up. I know, that will be more than 4.5 hrs but I'm really not sure if I can stretch out 4K and 2K work to last until 12:30. We may make play time a bit longer and then we can even count that as PE if we want so.... we'll see. We may find that we can cut back a lot but this is what we're planning on for right now. :)

No comments: